How did the Rotary Club of Arlington get its start?
The Club Organization Meeting was held on May 29, 1923.  Tom L. Cravens and Gordon Hill were responsible for the organization. Bert Tolbert of Fort Worth was a special representative for the organization.  The Charter was presented by District Governor John Singleton of Waxahachie on June 11, 1923.
There were seventeen charter members: Elvis W. Altman, Dry Goods Retailing; Garner C. Ammon, Restaurants; A. Cliff Barnes, Hardware Retailing; Horace E. Cannon, Florist; Carl F. Chancellor, Telephone Service; William E. Clark, Newspaper-Magazine Agency; P. Leslie Coulter, Drug Retail; Tom L. Cravens, Real Estate; Frank P. Hall, Auto Accessories Retail; V. Gordon Hill, Newspaper Publishing; Edward C. McKnight, Groceries Retailing; C. Ray McKnight, Men’s Furnishing Retail; Hugh M. Moore, Undertaking, Thomas Spruance, Trust and Savings Bank; Elmer L. Taylor, Furniture Retail; Myron L. Williams, Education-College; and Sam F. Wine, Electric Light and Power Service. Sam Wine was elected the first president.
The club’s week luncheon meetings were held in Ammon’s restaurant but this was unsatisfactory because the meeting place did not have a separate dining/meeting room. The meetings were moved to the First Christian Church and service was by the ladies of the church. Within a year (1924) the club moved to its current home, First United Methodist Church. The ladies of the church prepared the meals.
From these beginnings The Rotary Club of Arlington has continued to serve our community by sponsoring improvements as a group and through individual members.